Thursday 13 June 2013

Now is the time to live

Close to the king's palace stood a humble hut. In it lived a gardener who worked at the palace grounds. He worked from 'dawn to dusk. It was hard work. Yet the gardener never grumbled nor groaned. He was always cheerful and happy. He seemed to be at peace with himself. The king noticed the gardener, at work, on several occasions and noticed his happy mien. "Where does this man find happiness? He has very little to call his own. He lives in a thatched house. The roof is low. The floor is hard and uneven. He dines on just rot is and dhal. Yet he looks trim. His eyes have a rare sparkle. I wish I could be as happy as him," the king told himself. One evening the king was taking a walk in the garden. He found the gardener, packing up his tools after finishing the day's work. He was covered with dust and mud. He was singing a song in praise of God. He completed the song. The king then approached him. The gardener bowed. The king called him closer and said,. "I envy you man. You are always happy. I wish I could be as happy as you. What is the secret of your happiness? Won't you share it with
"Your Highness, why should I be unhappy when I get two meals and have a place to sleep at night? God has given me the strength to earn my bread by the sweat of my brow. I work from morning till evening. I am so hungry now that l can eat any thing. Even hard dry rot is. And I am tired too. So I can lie down, this moment, but for hunger, on the hardest of floors, and drop off to sleep instantly. When I wake up, in the morning, I feel fresh and full of energy to work and earn my day's wages. I take everyday as it comes. This moment... the present is what matters to me the most," the gardener replied respectfully. "But what if tomorrow you fall sick! Should you not think of the future too?" the king asked. "And start worrying? I will lose my appetite. I will not get good sleep. My health will deteriorate. I will fall sick. Then I can't earn my daily wage. I will starve and die. No, Your Highness, I can't afford to worry about the future. Only this moment counts. Nothing else," the gardener explained. "You said it. Thank you," saying this the king turned back, determined to change his attitude and to make the best use of the present.


Meaning: Make the best use of time. Don't spend time brooding over past mistakes or worrying about the future. Remember, time lost can never be regained.

Alternatives: No time like the present. Take care of today, tomorrow will take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment