Thursday 13 June 2013

Kindness pays

One day, a rat ran through the network of tunnels in a forest. Right behind it was another rat. The two were chasing each other, just for fun. Suddenly, the rat which was leading found the other rat getting closer. It decided to jump off one of the exits. It did not think twice. It ducked, bounced out of the tunnel at high speed and bumped into a lion who was taking a nap. The lion, disturbed at his sleep, snatched the rat in its paw. It held the rat by the tai I and watched while the rat wriggled. "That is the end of you, you rat," the lion growled. "Have mercy, Oh Lord of the Jungle. I am sorry, really sorry," the rat squeaked. "Mercy! How dare you disturbed my sleep! You deserve to die", the lion roared. "Spare my life. I will ever be grateful to you. And when the time comes I will repay your kindness," the rat pleaded pitifully. "How silly! You, tiny rat! How can you ever help me?" the lion laughed. Then said, "Go away, but don't ever disturb me again." And he dropped the rat, on the green grass. The rat picked itself up, thanked the lion and ran back to safety in the maze of tunnels. A few days later, the lion was caught in a net, laid by a hunter. The lion roared angrily. He snarled, tried to raise his paws. But the net did not give room for any movement. The lion tried his best. All to no avail.
Luckily for the lion, his loud roars reached the rat. It ran all the way to where the lion was trapped. The lion did not even see the rat. The rat went round the net. Then told the lion, "Wait. I will free you." It began to cut the guts of the net. Other rats which passed by, also came and helped. Soon the net was cut and the lion came out. The I ion turned to the rat and said, "Thank you. Today you saved my life." The rat replied, "I only did my duty. Once you had spared my life and today I have repaid your good deed." The lion roared, happily, "I know now that one good deed begets another. Kindness pays really!"

Meaning: Be kind. Show mercy to the weak and the poor. They may help you in times of need.


Alternative: One good deed begets another.

No comments:

Post a Comment