Monday 10 June 2013

Haste makes waste

Shivaji, the Maratha chief, was on the run. He had suffered a set- back in a battle with the Mughals. He and a few of his close associates got away in time. The party moved through the jungle. After a long trek, they reached a junction. Shivaji turned to his men and said, "If we move in a group, we will be easily identified. Let each of us follow a different route. We shall meet three days hence, in the old rest house near Rajgarh Fort." The men protested. Shivaji overruled their objection. He moved on, all by himself. By dusk he was tired. He needed food and shelter for the night? The flicker of an oil lamp, at a distance, roused his hopes. He moved faster till he reached a hut. An old woman was watching a pot, boiling on the fire. She raised her head on hearing footsteps. She saw a stranger at the door. She asked, "Who are you?" Shivaji did not introduce himself. For danger stalked him, all around. So he said, "A poor traveller. Ma, I seek help from you. I am terribly hungry. I had been on my feet all day long and had nothing but some nuts and fruits I took from the trees." "Come, sit down. I will get you a plate of hot, fresh boiled Kodi (grain eaten by poor people). Nothing more. I am poor. I can't serve a grand feast," she made place for Shivaji to sit close to the fire.
Shivaji thanked her. He washed his face and hand sand sat down. The woman placed a plate before him and served the- hot steaming food. Shivaji picked up a handful of food from the centre. He wrung his hand in pain. Quickly he dropped the food and waited. The old woman, who watched him, said, "You are like Shivaji." "Shivaji! Why?" he asked. "Shivaji leaves aside small -forts and hurries to capture big ones. He is terribly hasty. He doesn't know that he must move step by step, gain control over the small forts and then attack the big

ones. Haste makes waste. It gets one into trouble. You were hasty too. Food, when served hot, cools faster at the edges. Instead of taking food from the edges, where it is cold, you picked up a handful from the centre. And hence, got your fingers burnt." Shivaji got the message. He thanked the old woman. He cleaned up the kodi. He washed the plate and waited till the old woman had eaten. He helped her clean up the pots. Then she spread a mat on the floor for him to sleep. Next day, at dawn, he took leave of the old woman. He told her, as he left, "I assure you, I won't be hasty. I know haste gets one into trouble. Thank you for teaching me that lesson." "Good. I wish Shivaji also learns that lesson. I wish I live to see Shivaji holding absolute power," the old woman said. "He has got the message, Mataji," Shivaji fell at her feet. "What!" the old woman was confused. "I am Shivaji. Bless me, Mataji. You have shown me the way to succeed," Shivaji reached for the old woman's right hand and placed it on his head. She smiled and said, " Vijayi Bhava" (May you be victorious).


Meaning: Act patiently. Plan every action in advance. Analyse the plan thoroughly. Alter and amend it wherever necessary. Never act rashly. That's how one increases the chances of success.

Alternatives: Act in haste, repent at leisure. Look before you leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment