Monday 10 June 2013

A greased mouth cannot say 'no9

The commander led his men. They laid siege to the fort. They kept watch, round the clock. None could get away from the fort. "The defenders need food and water. They may have some food and water in stock. But that won't last long. The fort will fall soon," said the commander to his close associates. The siege continued. Even after a month, there was no sign of panic on the part of the defenders. The commander however remained cool. "Victory will be ours," he said confidently. That night, he rode away, to the neighbouring town. He reached a house, set on the outskirts of the town. He knocked. Someone asked, "Who is there?" The Commander introduced himself. The door opened. "Come in," said the host, not showing much enthusiasm on seeing the guest. "You don't seem to be happy to see me," the commander stared at the host. "You know the reason. I was once an official at the fort. I have retired. I have settled down here, far from the fort. If the news that 
I have met you, reaches the defenders, sounded scared.
will be a dead man," he
"Well, I won't stay even a minute more than is necessary. I have helped you with funds several times when you were working at the fort. I never asked you for any favour. Now I want it. Tel I me, is there a secret tunnel to the fort?" the commander waited for an answer. "I ... Well ..." the host stammered. "Tell me. Or I will send to your master the documents to prove that you have taken bribe from me. That will be the end of you." The host reluctantly gave the information. The commander rode away, telling himself, "A greased mouth can never say NO." Next day, after dusk, he led a few soldiers to the mouth of the tunnel. He directed them to sneak in and take the men who were at the main gate. The men at the gate were taken by surprise. The drawbridge came down. The attacking army swarmed in. Soon the fort fell.



Meaning: One who has taken bribes cannot refuse any request of his patron.

Alternative: A man who sells himself is a slave for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment